Monday, June 17, 2013

Barry McGee, ICA, Boston


"It's pure chaos, claiming a territory that doesn't belong to you to state your own identity. It's like saying, 'I've got no other way to say I exist."
—BARRY McGEE






Last week, we made a visit to the The Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston (ICA). I had wanted to see the Barry McGee exhibit. McGee developed as a graffiti artist. He started his art in his home city of San Francisco under the tag name of "Twist".

At that time the San Francisco was reeling from a bad economy. People often took to the streets to protest societal problems in the City. McGee was inspired by this activism and the more politicized forms of protest graffiti. More here

I recommend seeing this exhibit. It was a happy surprise and very interesting. I loved all the drawings  and the use of creative typography in many of his artworks.

It runs until September 2nd. See it for yourself

1 comment:

enchantedhue.com said...

love the quote.

I will definitely go and visit that exhibit!

AddThis

Bookmark and Share
Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...